Superfood Recipe: RAW Zucchini Pasta w/ Omega-3 Hemp Seed Pesto Recipe
Pasta salad is a classic staple of summer picnics and BBQ’s – a sturdy, packable and feast-able dish for many occasions. The age of boring, carb-heavy, mayo-based macaroni salad has passed (thankfully), and it’s time to re-vamp the classics with healthier, vibrantly flavorful crowd pleasers.
This recipe is a healthy twist on classic pesto pasta, served over a healthy portion of veggies in place of refined white flour pasta.
The real secret ingredient is the RAW Organic Hemp Seeds (aka “hemp hearts”), which transform the dairy-free pesto into delightfully nutty, creamy and vibrantly flavored sauce. Hemp also gives this dish a potent boost of nourishment. It’s packed with heart-healthy and anti-inflammatory essential fatty acids (omega 3 and 6 in a balanced 3 to 1 ratio) and a full array of essential amino acids to create a complete source of RAW vegan protein.
Lemon zest, lemon juice, fresh basil, and buttery RAW extra virgin olive oil create an incredibly vibrant flavor profile. Fresh raw garlic gives the dish an extra nutritional boost, offering natural antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties — plus a satisfying bite.
This dish fills the role of greens and pasta salad in one — it’s a filling but highly nourishing combination that will please any crowd.
It also saves well (for up to 3 days!), so you can prepare a batch for yourself and pack it as a healthy lunch or dinner throughout the week.
RAW Zucchini Pasta and Hemp Seed Pesto Recipe
Hemp Seed Pesto Recipe Ingredients (serves 4-6):
- 2 large organic zucchini, washed
- 3 cups kelp noodles, rinsed and chopped (quinoa or brown rice spaghetti also works)
- 1 cup organic cherry tomatoes (sundried tomatoes will also work), chopped in halves or quarters
- 1/4 cup chopped spiced Botija olives or pitted Botija olives
- 3 tablespoons organic RAW olive oil
- 2 cloves raw garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup RAW organic hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, washed
- 1/4 teaspoon pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons water (if needed to thin the dressing)
- Shave the zucchini into thin, pasta-like ribbons (use a mandoline or vegetable peeler).
- In a bowl, toss the zucchini ribbons with the kelp noodles, tomatoes and olive pieces.
- In a blender, combine the olive oil, garlic, lemon zest, lemon, hemp seeds, basil, sea salt and pepper. Purée until smooth. Add 1-2 tablespoons of water to thin the mixture if needed.
- Pour the pesto dressing over the zucchini and kelp noodles and toss to evenly coat.
- If desired, garnish with additional hemp seeds and chopped fresh basil.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.